To where, you may ask?
To the mysterious world of habits…yes, Habits.
The land of habits is a place filled with all the wonderful possibilities of a thriving life.
It helps me to visualize my state of mind as a place I can visit and make changes when I need to. I feel relief knowing that all I have to do is step back from what’s bothering me, observe the emotions I’m feeling in my body, and give myself the opportunity to move back into a healthier state of mind.
Habits are made when we practice them, every single day, for an extended period of time (usually 20 – 30 days). Kinda like driving. You might have known how to drive in theory, but the learning took place when you practiced putting mind and body to function in a way that eventually you were able to drive on reflex. You don’t necessarily “think” about all the steps you take when you drive, your mind and body just know what to do.
Did you know that just as you created a habit of driving, you can also create a habit to feel good? The brain works the same way.
You can do this by practicing to look for the things in your everyday life that you LOVE, that make you feel good, that inspire you!
So what can you start practicing RIGHT NOW to help you create good feeling habits?
I made a list for you to experiment with:
- MEDITATE. You’ll find this on the top of most of my lists…
Meditation rocks! It slows down mind chatter, bringing your awareness and focus on to your body. When you practice this for a while, you’ll begin to feel where in your body you hold certain emotions. With enough practice, you’ll be able to observe the emotion in your body and release it immediately.
- CREATE A VIBE BOARD. You can make one digitally, in a sketchbook, or on paper. The idea here is to start looking for things you ABSOLUTELY LOVE. Doesn’t have to be anything in specific, just look for pictures of things that produce happy emotions. I love to cut out pictures of puppies, sunsets, beautiful castles, tropical landscapes, shiny gold glittery objects…all things my eye is attracted to. You can also write down words that inspire you. A vibe board gets you to visually start seeing the textures, colors, and objects you love. Don’t forget your sense of smell! spray with some perfume, or put pictures of your favorite candle scent. Not only are these fun to create, but you also get to create something special for yourself.
- MAKE A LIST OF THE BEAUTY YOU SAW TODAY. One of my favorite practices is picking out the things I love that I come across during the day as I’m walking my dog or going to the grocery store. There are so many beautiful flowers, plants, birds, butterflies, even cars and people…there is beauty everywhere! Make it a point to see them. Literally stop and smell the roses!
- MAKE A LIST OF THE PEOPLE YOU LOVE. Take it a step further and write down the qualities you love about them. This practice puts you in a loving, caring vibe.
- BE INTENTIONAL ABOUT YOUR AMBIANCE. Whether you work from home or at an office, carry your AWESOME vibe with you wherever you go. Make it intentional to put things in your environment that uplift you and help you feel good. Light up a candle (even if its a battery operated candle), display beautiful figurines or small spiritual sculptures by your desk. Don’t forget your plants! Keep your space clean and smelling delicious.
There are so many creative ways we can come up with to practice the habit of feeling good. If you are caught in a funk, all you have to do is book your ticket to the land of habits. Check yourself by checking in with what habits you’ve been practicing. Just as you can physically learn to do something (like driving), you can also learn to choose which emotions you would rather feel.
Do you guys have any good feeling practices? If so, let me know in the comments below!
As always, I hope this serves you, and please share this with friends you think might need it 😀
Stay tuned for my next post as I’ll show you how to create your very own Vibe Board ❤
Marisol C Medina